Personal Safety

Child Abuse


For those who are concerned about a child in relation to child abuse or neglect to making a report to child protection services in Victoria.

Protective Concerns

You are concerned about a child because you have:

Received a disclosure from a child about abuse or neglect

Observed indicators of abuse or neglect

Been made aware of possible harm via

your involvement in the community

external to your professional role At all times remember to:

Record your observations

Follow appropriate protocols

Consult notes and records

Consult with appropriate colleagues if necessary

Consult with other support agencies if necessary

Child abuse is a serious problem. In Vic- toria, if you suspect a case of child abuse or are mandated to report abuse, then you can contact Child Protection for advice.

For immediate help

To report concerns that are life threatening call Victoria Police 000.

To report concerns about the immedi- ate safety of a child within their family unit, call the Child Protection Crisis Line 13 12 78 (24 hours, 7 days a week, toll free within Victoria)

For more information visit Department of Human Services –

Translate this page

Who to Contact

Victoria Police
Ph: 000

After Hours Child Protection Emergency Service
Ph: 131 278 (5.00pm - 9.00am Monday - Friday, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays)

CASA Crisis Line
Ph: (03) 9344 2210
Ph: 1800 806 292 - Rural free call

Domestic Violence & Incest Resource Centre
Ph: (03) 9486 9866